CupProbably 19th century
Porcelain with underglaze blue decoration
2 in. x 2 3/4 in. (diameter) (5.08 cm x 6.99 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: TN.129
Geography: Asia, China
Classification: Containers and Vessels; Vessels; Cups
Collection: Helen B. Chapin '15 Collection
This object has the following keywords:
- Asian - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Asia, which is in the eastern hemisphere, and is bounded by the Pacific Ocean, the Indian Ocean, the Arctic Ocean, and is generally considered to be delimited on the west by the Ural Mountains. It also refers to the numerous islands off the coast of Asia.
- Chinese - The cultures, styles, and periods characteristic of China. To specifically refer to the cultures of ancient Chine, use "Ancient Chinese."
- cups - Open bowl-shaped vessels, used chiefly for drinking, often having one handle, but sometimes two handles or none, generally on a low foot-ring; also includes similar bowl-shaped vessels, generally without handles, resting on a stem and supported by a spreading foot. Occasionally made with a lid.
- porcelain - A material comprising white clay, or "kaolin," and a feldspathic rock, that react when fired so the clay serves to hold the shape of the object and the rock fuses into a natural glass. In China, it includes any such ware that is highly fired enough to produce a ringing sound when struck. In Europe, it is limited to hard-fired ceramic that is translucent.
- vessels - Containers designed to serve as receptacles for a liquid or other substance, usually those of circular section and made of some durable material; especially containers of this nature in domestic use, employed in connection with the preparation or serving of food or drink, and usually of a size suitable for carrying by hand.
This object was included in the following exhibitions:
- Feed Your Head: Food as Material and Metaphor Bryn Mawr College , Nov 4, 2011 – Dec 20, 2011
- An Appreciation of Chinese Arts in Bryn Mawr College's Collections Bryn Mawr College , Apr 23, 2002 – May 20, 2002
- An Appreciation of East Asian Aesthetics Bryn Mawr College , Mar 23, 2000 – Apr 23, 2000
Your current search criteria is: Exhibition is "An Appreciation of Chinese Arts in Bryn Mawr College's Collections".View current selection of records as: