Early - Middle Proto-Corinthian Kotyle (Cup) BaseArchaic
720 BCE - 650 BCE
5/8 in. x 1 7/8 in. x 1 9/16 in. (1.6 cm x 4.75 cm x 4 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2011.17.91
Geography: Europe, Greece, Corinth
Classification: Containers and Vessels; Vessels; Skyphoi
Collection: Collection of Doreen Canaday Spitzer
Findspot: Perachora (per inscription on sherd)
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- bases - Elements at the bottoms of structures or objects upon which the upper parts rest or are supported; for large objects, bases are often relatively massive. For terminal elements upon which objects rest and that are small in relation to the body of the object, use "feet."
- Corinthian type skyphoi - Refers to a type of skyphos consisting of a thin-walled cup with delicate handles and a ring foot. The form originated in Corinth.
- Proto-Corinthian - Refers to the Orientalizing phase of Greek art in Corinth, from about 720 to 620 BCE, which is roughly contemporary with the Proto-Attic phase in Athens. The Proto-Corinthian pottery style developed in Corinth in the eighth century BCE and lasted until around 640 BCE. It is characterized by vessels that are usually cups, jugs, or perfume pots, with decoration that is at first geometric and later includes animal and human figures, with occasional Eastern curvilinear ornamentation. The later examples are distinctive for the rounded contours and animation of the figures, painted in outline and silhouette, with added designs in incision and white color.
- sherds - Limited to fragments of pottery or glass.
- skyphoi - A type of drinking vessel in the shape of a deep cup, usually with two horizontal handles attached to the lip and a small integral foot. In all-black or unglossed plain wares the skyphos was the most common type of cup.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Doreen Canaday Spitzer Collection".View current selection of records as: