Roman Glass BowlRepublican-Imperial (Roman)
ca. 50 BC - first half of 1st century CE
1 11/16 x 6 x 1/8 in. (4.3 x 15.2 x 0.3 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: G.130
Classification: Containers and Vessels; Vessels; Bowls
Culture/Nationality: Syro-Palestinian or Italian (?)
Collection: Robinson Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- bowls - Rounded, cuplike, hollow parts of objects, such as the body of a stemmed vessel or the part of a pipe in which tobacco is burned.
- bowls - Rounded vessels that are generally wider than they are high, usually hemispherical or nearly so. A bowl may have a spreading base or foot ring and sometimes two handles or a cover. Distinguished from a cup, which is rather deep than wide.
- glass - An amorphous, inorganic substance made by fusing silica (silicon dioxide) with a basic oxide; generally transparent but often translucent or opaque. Its characteristic properties are its hardness and rigidity at ordinary temperatures, its capacity for plastic working at elevated temperatures, and its resistance to weathering and to most chemicals except hydrofluoric acid. Used for both utilitarian and decorative purposes, it can be formed into various shapes, colored or decorated. Glass originated as a glaze in Mesopotamia in about 3500 BCE and the first objects made wholly of glass date to about 2500 BCE.
- vessels - Containers designed to serve as receptacles for a liquid or other substance, usually those of circular section and made of some durable material; especially containers of this nature in domestic use, employed in connection with the preparation or serving of food or drink, and usually of a size suitable for carrying by hand.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Exhibition ListThis object was included in the following exhibitions:
- Feed Your Head: Food as Material and Metaphor Bryn Mawr College , Nov 4, 2011 – Dec 20, 2011
- Shifting Sands: Roman Glass in the Bryn Mawr College Collections Bryn Mawr College , Oct 15, 2007 – May 30, 2008
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Ancient Glass" and [Object]Country of Creation is ".View current selection of records as: