Beaker, Cup or JarImperial (Roman)-Late Antique
ca. 2nd century - 4th century
2 1/2 x 3 1/4 x 1/16 in. (6.3 x 8.2 x 0.2 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: G.2
Classification: Containers and Vessels; Vessels; Unclassified Vessels
Culture/Nationality: Eastern Mediterranean (?)
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- beakers - Refers to many varieties of relatively large drinking vessels without handles, cylindrical or conical in shape, with a flat base in the form of an open cup or goblet. Specifically, in archaeology refers to the tall wide-mouthed vessels produced by the Bell Beaker culture and found in certain early Bronze Age graves.
- blown glass - Glassware shaped by blowing air through a blowpipe into a glob of molten glass.
- cups - Open bowl-shaped vessels, used chiefly for drinking, often having one handle, but sometimes two handles or none, generally on a low foot-ring; also includes similar bowl-shaped vessels, generally without handles, resting on a stem and supported by a spreading foot. Occasionally made with a lid.
- glass - An amorphous, inorganic substance made by fusing silica (silicon dioxide) with a basic oxide; generally transparent but often translucent or opaque. Its characteristic properties are its hardness and rigidity at ordinary temperatures, its capacity for plastic working at elevated temperatures, and its resistance to weathering and to most chemicals except hydrofluoric acid. Used for both utilitarian and decorative purposes, it can be formed into various shapes, colored or decorated. Glass originated as a glaze in Mesopotamia in about 3500 BCE and the first objects made wholly of glass date to about 2500 BCE.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Exhibition ListThis object was included in the following exhibitions:
- Shifting Sands: Roman Glass in the Bryn Mawr College Collections Bryn Mawr College , Oct 15, 2007 – May 30, 2008
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Ancient Glass" and [Object]Country of Creation is ".View current selection of records as: