Corinthian (?) Miniature BowlArchaic-Classical
ca. 550 BCE - 400 BCE
1 1/8 x 2 1/16 x 3/16 in. (2.8 x 5.2 x 0.5 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- bowls - Rounded, cuplike, hollow parts of objects, such as the body of a stemmed vessel or the part of a pipe in which tobacco is burned.
- bowls - Rounded vessels that are generally wider than they are high, usually hemispherical or nearly so. A bowl may have a spreading base or foot ring and sometimes two handles or a cover. Distinguished from a cup, which is rather deep than wide.
- Corinthian - Refers to a pottery style created in the city and region of Corinth in the Peloponnese in south-central Greece, and exported extensively in other parts of Greece, Italy, and Egypt, particularly in the second half of the seventh century BCE and the first half of the sixth century BCE. It is characterized by large vessels and bold decoration arranged in friezes covering most of the surface. Designs are in black-figure on a light terra-cotta background, with red, white, and incised additions. Motifs may have been inspired by Eastern textiles and typically include animals, monsters, or human figures, with ornaments such as dots, leaves, or rosettes scattered over the background.
- miniatures - Object genre including various types of things that are a smaller or reduced version of an original, such as a likeness or representation on a small scale or a small-scale model.
- vessels - Containers designed to serve as receptacles for a liquid or other substance, usually those of circular section and made of some durable material; especially containers of this nature in domestic use, employed in connection with the preparation or serving of food or drink, and usually of a size suitable for carrying by hand.
- votive offerings - Objects or monuments donated by an individual for a public place or shrine, especially in gratitude for deliverance from distress. For those that are, or contain, images, use "ex-votos."
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Corinthian Pottery" and [Object]Period/Era/Dynasty is "Archaic-Classical".View current selection of records as: