Corinthian Miniature Krater (Mixing Bowl)Archaic-Classical
ca. 550 BCE - 400 BCE
13/16 x 1 1/4 x 1 7/16 in. (2 x 3.2 x 3.7 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: P.3225
Geography: Europe, Greece
Classification: Ceremonial and Performance Artifacts; Votive Objects
Culture/Nationality: Greek; Corinthian
Collection: Lucy Shoe Meritt Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- Corinthian - Refers to a pottery style created in the city and region of Corinth in the Peloponnese in south-central Greece, and exported extensively in other parts of Greece, Italy, and Egypt, particularly in the second half of the seventh century BCE and the first half of the sixth century BCE. It is characterized by large vessels and bold decoration arranged in friezes covering most of the surface. Designs are in black-figure on a light terra-cotta background, with red, white, and incised additions. Motifs may have been inspired by Eastern textiles and typically include animals, monsters, or human figures, with ornaments such as dots, leaves, or rosettes scattered over the background.
- cups - Open bowl-shaped vessels, used chiefly for drinking, often having one handle, but sometimes two handles or none, generally on a low foot-ring; also includes similar bowl-shaped vessels, generally without handles, resting on a stem and supported by a spreading foot. Occasionally made with a lid.
- kraters - Any of various large ancient Greek wide-mouthed vessels with two side handles, usually horizontal, generally used for mixing wine and water.
- miniatures - Object genre including various types of things that are a smaller or reduced version of an original, such as a likeness or representation on a small scale or a small-scale model.
- votive offerings - Objects or monuments donated by an individual for a public place or shrine, especially in gratitude for deliverance from distress. For those that are, or contain, images, use "ex-votos."
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Corinthian Pottery".View current selection of records as: