South Italian Black-Gloss Patera (Dish)Classical-Hellenistic
4th century BCE
3/4 x 5 x 1/4 in. (1.9 x 12.7 x 0.6 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: P.2499
Classification: Containers and Vessels; Vessels; Plates
Collection: Howard C. Comfort Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- black - UCL (Universal Color Language) standard color name identifying a range of blackish colors. More specifically, black is an achromatic color of maximum darkness, referring to objects having little or no hue owing to the absorption of almost all light in the visible spectrum. In the context of pigments, black is theoretically the mixture of all colors. In the context of colors of light, black is the absence of light.
- ceramic glaze - Thin, opaque, vitreous coating that is applied to the surface of a ceramic body by painting, spraying, or dipping, in order to add color, texture, or water resistance to the object. The glaze is applied to the surface of a fired ceramic piece, and then the piece is refired at a temperature that vitrifies the glaze, but is lower than the original firing temperature. Ceramic glazes are usually mixtures of silicates, colorants, and flux.
- engobe - Slip glaze applied over a clay body to provide a smooth surface for further glazing or decoration, usually by dipping or brushing; contains color oxides as well as clay, feldspar, and silica.
- paterae - Ancient Roman containers in the form of a shallow bowl without handles, often with a base whose center is pushed up into the body; used for offering libations at religious ceremonies or for drinking. For similar ancient Greek containers, use "phialae."
- slip - Fine clay which, when mixed with water, results in a fluid with a creamlike consistency, used in casting, glazing, decorating, and repairing ceramic wares; in its natural state, it contains sufficient flux to be used for glazing and decorating without the need of additives. For ceramic glaze with a high content of slip, use "slip glaze."
- South Italian - Ancient pottery styles of southern Italy.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "South Italian Pottery" and [Object]Period/Era/Dynasty is "Classical-Hellenistic" and [Object]Country of Creation is ".View current selection of records as: