Wakemia or Wunkirmian (Ceremonial Ladle)19th century - 20th century
16.5 x 4.5 x 2 in. (41.91 x 11.43 x 5.08 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 99.6.4
Other Number(s): P41 (Plass Number)
Geography: Africa, Côte d'Ivoire
Classification: Ceremonial and Performance Artifacts; Ritual Objects
Culture/Nationality: Dan, Ivorian, West African, African
Collection: Plass Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- carvings - Refers to works executed by cutting a figure or design out of a solid material such as stone or wood. It typically refers to works that are relatively small in size, are part of a larger work, or are not considered art. For large and medium-sized three-dimensional works of art, use the broader term "sculpture" or another appropriate term.
- ritual objects - Objects used for a particular ritual activity, often as part of a ceremony.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
- wood - The principal tissue of trees and other plants that provides both strength and a means of conducting nutrients. Wood is one of the most versatile materials known.
- wunkermian - Large, wooden, serving spoons with carved handles, typically in the form of a human head, domestic animals or ornament, used by the Dan and neighboring peoples in Liberia in association with feasts, and serving as a symbol of hospitality and generosity.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Exhibition ListThis object was included in the following exhibitions:
- Journeys Through African Womanhood Bryn Mawr College , Feb 14, 2003 – Mar 28, 2003
- A Celebration of Black History: African Art from the Neufeld and Plass Collections Bryn Mawr College , Feb 24, 1992 – Mar 13, 1992
Bibliography ListThe following Bibliography exist for this object:
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0178062.
Frisk & Borodin Appraisers,
Inventory and Appraisement Belonging to the Estate of Margaret Barton Plass, Deceased. 7 March 1990
Bryn Mawr College Special Collections.
Bryn Mawr, PA, 1990
Page Number: 3, Figure Number: 41
Related Bibliography ListThe following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- "Rand African Art." (Accessed May 9, 2020): Randafricanart.com. http://www.randafricanart.com/Dan_Wunkirmian_spoon_1.html.
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "West African" and [Object]Culture-Nationality is "Dan, Ivorian, West African, African".View current selection of records as: