Degeï (Toro) (Heddle Pulley)19th century - 20th century
Carved and incised wood
7.32 x 2.17 x 1.9 in. (18.593 x 5.512 x 4.826 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2016.14.76
Geography: Africa, Mali
Classification: Tools and Equipment; Textile Working Tools and Equipment; Pulley, Heddle
Culture/Nationality: Dogon, Malian, West African, African
Collection: Jane Martin Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- carvings - Refers to works executed by cutting a figure or design out of a solid material such as stone or wood. It typically refers to works that are relatively small in size, are part of a larger work, or are not considered art. For large and medium-sized three-dimensional works of art, use the broader term "sculpture" or another appropriate term.
- figures - Representations of humans, animals, or mythical beasts, in any medium.
- heddle pulleys - Pulleys consisting of a grooved wheel in a frame, held in a frame and used to suspend and move the heddles on a loom. Examples are on African double-heddle looms, where the frames may be elaborately carved.
- Malian - Style and culture of Mali in West Africa, either the ancient empire of the 13th and 14th centuries or of the modern republic founded in 1960.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
- wood - The principal tissue of trees and other plants that provides both strength and a means of conducting nutrients. Wood is one of the most versatile materials known.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Exhibition ListThis object was included in the following exhibitions:
- On Selecting: Profiles of Alumnae Donors to the African Art & Artifacts Collection Maria Shellman , Jan 25, 2017 – Sep 2, 2017
Bibliography ListThe following Bibliography exist for this object:
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0177817.
Comparanda ListThe following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "The Met Online Collections Database." The Met Collection. (Accessed April 9, 2020): The Metropolitan Museum of Art, https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/. Accession No.: 1980.552.8.
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "West African" and [Object]Culture-Nationality is "Dogon, Malian, West African, African".View current selection of records as: