Terracotta Pig (?) HeadAksum
800 BCE-200 BCE
2 3/8 in. x 3 15/16 in. x 3 15/16 in. (6 cm x 10 cm x 10 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- Aksumite - Use both for the Ethiopian period and to describe its material cultural remains having traits that developed around 700 BCE, but more specifically attributed to the era between the first century BCE and around 1000 CE.
- East African - Styles and cultures of the eastern area of Africa including Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda, that together with the Horn of Africa (Somalia, Djibouti, Eritrea, and Ethiopia) make up Eastern Africa.
- terracottas - Sculptural works, vessels, or structural forms made from terracotta, a fairly coarse, porous clay product that when fired typically assumes a reddish or orange brown color, and often is left unglazed. When possible, for indexing use a more specific term, created locally by combining the material term plus a more specific object name, such as "terracotta" + "figurines."
- Selected Works of Art, Archaeology, Ethnography and Decorative Arts from the College's Collections Bryn Mawr College , Feb 20, 2002 – Feb 24, 2002
- African Art in the Greater Philadelphia Area The Community College of Philadelphia with a Grant from the William Penn Foundation , Nov 12, 1999 – Dec 17, 1999
The following Bibliography exist for this object:
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0180108.
Frisk & Borodin Appraisers,
Inventory and Appraisement Belonging to the Estate of Margaret Barton Plass, Deceased. 7 March 1990
Bryn Mawr College Special Collections.
Bryn Mawr, PA, 1990
Page Number: 1, Figure Number: 14b
The following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "Artkhade: The Auctions Database of Ancient Arts from Africa, Asia, Oceania and the Americas." (Accessed April 23, 2020): https://www.artkhade.com/en. https://www.artkhade.com/en/object/008023/fgGLZM/a-falasha-head-axum-kingdom-ethiopia?search=%2Fen%2Fsearch%3Fl%3D0%2B50%26q%3Dcollection-747%2Bregion-140%26ob%3Dlatest_sale_date&r=, Figure Number: LQY-008023.
- "Artkhade: The Auctions Database of Ancient Arts from Africa, Asia, Oceania and the Americas." (Accessed April 23, 2020): https://www.artkhade.com/en. https://www.artkhade.com/en/object/008022/C4TI8n/a-falasha-head-axum-kingdom-ethiopia?search=%2Fen%2Fsearch%3Fl%3D0%2B50%26q%3Dcollection-747%2Bregion-140%26ob%3Dlatest_sale_date&r=, Figure Number: DAJ-008022.
- "Lempertz." (Accessed June 10, 2020): https://www.lempertz.com/en/auctions.html. https://www.lempertz.com/en/catalogues/lot/1081-1/47-falasha-terracotta-head.html, Figure Number: Auction 1081, African and Oceanic Art, 05.04.2017 - 14:00, Brussels Lot 47.
- "The Minneapolis Institute of Art." Minneapolis Institute of Art. (Accessed June 10, 2020): Minneapolis Institute of Art, ArtsMIA.org. Accession No.: 99.2.23.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "East African" and [Object]Century is ".View current selection of records as: