2 7/16 x 2 5/8 x 1 1/16 in. (6.2 x 6.7 x 2.7 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 64.28.12.b
Geography: North and Central America, United States, Arizona
Classification: Unclassifiable Artifacts; Artifact Remnants; Stone, Worked
Culture/Nationality: Native American
This object has the following keywords:
- chert - Fine-grained, dense sedimentary rock consisting of interlocking crystals of quartz approximately 30 microns in diameter. Chert and its varieties, such as flint, are non-gem varieties of cryptocrystalline-granular quartz. These stones chip very easily and thus may be fashioned into tools with a sharp edge; they are also used for building.
- flakes - In the context of archaeology, this term refers to thin, flat pieces of stone intentionally removed from a tool or core during the process of stone tool manufacture.
- Native American - Typically reserved to refer narrowly to the cultures of the native peoples of the United States and Canada, excluding the Eskimos and Aleuts. For the indigenous peoples of Canada use the term "First Nations." For the broader concept of the cultures of any native peoples of Central America, South America, North America, or the West Indies who are considered to belong to the Mongoloid division of the human species, use "Amerindian (culture)."
- North American - Refers to the cultures of the continent of North America, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Pacific Ocean, the Arctic Circle, and Central America. In classifications schemes based on physical geography, Central America, and North America are parts of the same continent.
- Southwestern Native American - Styles and cultures Southwestern Native America.
- stone - General term for rock that has been cut, shaped, crushed, or otherwise formed for use in construction or other purposes. Includes the specific archaeological and anthropological sense of individual stones which may be decorated or ornamented and which may be used in ritual contexts. These are usually not carved or dressed, and so differ from sculptures made from stone.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Southwest" and [Object]Display Artist is ".View current selection of records as: