Pima (active ) Primary
5 x 8.5 x 8.5 in. (12.7 x 21.59 x 21.59 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 95.1.27
Geography: North and Central America, United States
Classification: Containers and Vessels; Baskets
Culture/Nationality: Pima, Native American
Collection: George and Anne Vaux Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- baskets - Containers made of twigs, rushes, thin strips of wood, or other flexible material woven together.
- Native American - Typically reserved to refer narrowly to the cultures of the native peoples of the United States and Canada, excluding the Eskimos and Aleuts. For the indigenous peoples of Canada use the term "First Nations." For the broader concept of the cultures of any native peoples of Central America, South America, North America, or the West Indies who are considered to belong to the Mongoloid division of the human species, use "Amerindian (culture)."
- North American - Refers to the cultures of the continent of North America, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Pacific Ocean, the Arctic Circle, and Central America. In classifications schemes based on physical geography, Central America, and North America are parts of the same continent.
- Pima - North American Indians who traditionally lived along the Gila and Salt rivers in Arizona, in what was the core area of the prehistoric Hohokam culture. The Pima speak a Uto-Aztecan language and are usually considered to be the descendants of the Hohokam. Like their presumed ancestors, the Pima were traditionally sedentary farmers living in one-room houses and utilizing the rivers for irrigation. Some hunting and gathering were done to supplement the diet, and in drought years, which occurred on the average of one year in five, crop failure made hunting and gathering the sole mode of subsistence. During these dry years jackrabbits and mesquite beans became the group's dietary staples.
- Southwestern Native American - Styles and cultures Southwestern Native America.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Southwest" and [Object]Display Artist is "Unknown Pima".View current selection of records as: