Hopi (active ) Primary
1 1/16 in. x 10 1/16 in. x 31 5/16 in. (Circ.) (2.7 cm x 25.5 cm x 79.5 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 72.1.17
Geography: North and Central America, United States
Classification: Containers and Vessels; Baskets
Culture/Nationality: Hopi, Native American
Collection: Twyeffort Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- baskets - Containers made of twigs, rushes, thin strips of wood, or other flexible material woven together.
- Hopi - Style and culture of the westernmost group of Pueblo Indians, situated in what is now northeastern Arizona, on the edge of the Painted Desert. They speak a Shoshonean language of Uto-Aztecan stock. The precise origin of the Hopi is unknown, although it is thought that they and other Pueblo peoples descended from the Ancestral Pueblo (Anasazi).
- Native American - Typically reserved to refer narrowly to the cultures of the native peoples of the United States and Canada, excluding the Eskimos and Aleuts. For the indigenous peoples of Canada use the term "First Nations." For the broader concept of the cultures of any native peoples of Central America, South America, North America, or the West Indies who are considered to belong to the Mongoloid division of the human species, use "Amerindian (culture)."
- North American - Refers to the cultures of the continent of North America, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Pacific Ocean, the Arctic Circle, and Central America. In classifications schemes based on physical geography, Central America, and North America are parts of the same continent.
- plaques - Flat, thin, usually small objects, made of metal, clay, ivory, glass, or basketry, sometimes set into a surface for decoration or to bear an inscription.
- Southwestern Native American - Styles and cultures Southwestern Native America.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Southwest" and [Object]Culture-Nationality is "Hopi, Native American".View current selection of records as: