1 x 5/8 x 1/4 in. (2.5 x 1.6 x 0.6 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 64.25.8
Geography: North and Central America, United States, New Mexico
Classification: Tools and Equipment
Culture/Nationality: Native American
This object has the following keywords:
chalcedony*, Native American*, North American*, projectile points*, Southwestern Native American*, stone*, weapons*
- chalcedony - A translucent, quartz usually with a waxy luster, having tiny microscopic crystals that are sometimes arranged in slender fibrous bands; occurring in various colors, usually red, blue, or green.
- Native American - Typically reserved to refer narrowly to the cultures of the native peoples of the United States and Canada, excluding the Eskimos and Aleuts. For the indigenous peoples of Canada use the term "First Nations." For the broader concept of the cultures of any native peoples of Central America, South America, North America, or the West Indies who are considered to belong to the Mongoloid division of the human species, use "Amerindian (culture)."
- North American - Refers to the cultures of the continent of North America, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Pacific Ocean, the Arctic Circle, and Central America. In classifications schemes based on physical geography, Central America, and North America are parts of the same continent.
- projectile points - Pieces of hard material, typically stone or metal, sharpened to have a cutting edge or penetrating point for use as projectiles or the heads of projectile weapons.
- Southwestern Native American - Styles and cultures Southwestern Native America.
- stone - General term for rock that has been cut, shaped, crushed, or otherwise formed for use in construction or other purposes. Includes the specific archaeological and anthropological sense of individual stones which may be decorated or ornamented and which may be used in ritual contexts. These are usually not carved or dressed, and so differ from sculptures made from stone.
- weapons - Implements or mechanisms used for defense or attack in combat, hunting, or war.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Southwest" and [Object]Period/Era/Dynasty is ".View current selection of records as: