5 5/8 x 3 11/32 x 2 1/16 in. (14.3 x 8.5 x 5.2 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 95.1.238
Geography: North and Central America, United States, Ohio
Classification: Tools and Equipment; Arts and Crafts Tools
Culture/Nationality: Native American
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- axes - Cutting tools that consist of a relatively heavy edged, squarish head fixed to a handle, the edge or edges being parallel to the handle so as to be suited for striking, hewing, cleaving, or chopping, trees, wood, ice, or another material. For axes used as weapons, typically having wider blades, use "axes (weapons)." For similar tools that are smaller and lighter, use "hatchets." For long-handled tools with a curved blade set perpendicular to the handle and used for dressing lumber, use "adzes."
- Native American - Typically reserved to refer narrowly to the cultures of the native peoples of the United States and Canada, excluding the Eskimos and Aleuts. For the indigenous peoples of Canada use the term "First Nations." For the broader concept of the cultures of any native peoples of Central America, South America, North America, or the West Indies who are considered to belong to the Mongoloid division of the human species, use "Amerindian (culture)."
- North American - Refers to the cultures of the continent of North America, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Pacific Ocean, the Arctic Circle, and Central America. In classifications schemes based on physical geography, Central America, and North America are parts of the same continent.
- northeast - The compass point lying midway between north and east.
- stone - General term for rock that has been cut, shaped, crushed, or otherwise formed for use in construction or other purposes. Includes the specific archaeological and anthropological sense of individual stones which may be decorated or ornamented and which may be used in ritual contexts. These are usually not carved or dressed, and so differ from sculptures made from stone.
- tools - Objects, especially those hand-held, for performing or facilitating mechanical operations.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Northeast".View current selection of records as: