Attic Black-Figure Kylix (Drinking Cup) FragmentAbout 500 BCE - 490 BCE
2 13/16 x 4 1/2 x 1/4 in. (7.1 x 11.4 x 0.6 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- Attic - Style and culture of the region of Attica. For culture particular to the capital of Attica, Athens, use "Athenian."
- Black-figure - Refers to a style of Greek vase painting that developed from the Geometric and Orientalizing styles. It appeared in Corinth around 720 BCE, flourished in Attica by 600 BCE, and was found in Sparta, eastern Greece, and elsewhere, until the Red-figure style gradually replaced it in the late sixth century BCE. The style is characterized by a particular technique, which is characterized by the use of a refined slip, a two-stage firing process, and sintering to create black figures in silhouette on a red ground. Details were incised into the black figures or applied in purple or white pigment.
- cups - Open bowl-shaped vessels, used chiefly for drinking, often having one handle, but sometimes two handles or none, generally on a low foot-ring; also includes similar bowl-shaped vessels, generally without handles, resting on a stem and supported by a spreading foot. Occasionally made with a lid.
- kylikes - Ancient Greek drinking vessels in the form of a broad, shallow bowl set on a high foot or pedestal with two upcurving handles.
- Satyrs and Maenads - Maenads are human female followers of Dionysus (sometimes called Nymphai) - Note added June 2010 by M. Weldon.
- sherds - Limited to fragments of pottery or glass.
- vase paintings - Refers to two-dimensional decoration applied to pottery by using paint made of metallic oxides or other pigments held in suspension in slip or another medium. The term is particularly used to refer to Ancient Greek red- and black-figure works. See also "porcelain paintings (visual works)."
This object was included in the following exhibitions:
- Ancient Life on Greek Pottery Bryn Mawr College , Mar 30, 2015 – Jun 1, 2015
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Attic Black-Figure Pottery" and [Object]Country of Creation is "Greece".View current selection of records as: