unknown Kuba (Congolese)
Kuba Basket with LidLate 19th century - Mid 20th century
3.74 x 5 x 5 in. (9.5 x 12.7 x 12.7 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- baskets - Containers made of twigs, rushes, thin strips of wood, or other flexible material woven together.
- Central African - Nationality, styles, and culture of the people of the nation of the République centrafricaine.
- Congolese - Nationality, styles, and cultures of the Republic of the Congo.
- containers - Receptacles or formed or flexible coverings designed to hold, store, or ship objects or substances.
- Kuba - Describes works created by the African people of the same name living in the central Democratic Republic of Congo.
- weaving - Generally, the process of interlacing strands or strips of various materials, such as cane, textile, or twigs, to make materials or objects such as wicker, cloth, baskets, or wreaths. Specifically used for the process of making textile on a loom or other weaving device by interlacing warp and weft in a particular order.
The following Comparanda exist for this object:
- Marc Ginzberg, African Forms: The Traditional Design and Function of Objects (London, England: Thames & Hudson, 2000), 108.
- "Penn Museum Online Collections." Penn Museum Online Collections. (Accessed April 4, 2020): Penn Museum, https://www.penn.museum/collections/index.php. Accession No.: 2006-15-50.
- "Africa Direct: African Art and Beads Website." (Accessed May 4, 2020): https://www.africadirect.com/. https://www.africadirect.com/baskets/kuba-baskets/kuba-basket-extraordinary-shape-congo-african-art.html?SID=g2g9nblckj38dnelec4n9dpa75.
- "The Met Online Collections Database." The Met Collection. (Accessed April 9, 2020): The Metropolitan Museum of Art, https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/. Accession No.: 1979.206.214a, b.
The following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- Marc Ginzberg, African Forms: The Traditional Design and Function of Objects (London, England: Thames & Hudson, 2000), 28, 108.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Jane Martin Collection" and [Object]Country of Creation is "Democratic Republic of the Congo" and [Object]Culture-Nationality is "Kuba, Congolese, Central African, African".View current selection of records as: