Margaret Feuer Plass Collection
|Showing 1 of 1||
BraceletEarly 20th century - Mid 20th century
2 3/4 in. (diameter) (6.99 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- bracelets - Ornamental bands or circlets worn on the lower arm. Use "armlets" for similar articles worn on the upper arm.
- brasswork - Visual works made of the metal alloy brass, particularly sculptures, containers, and other decorative or utilitarian objects.
- divination objects - Objects used in divination or associated with divination rituals.
- Ivorian - Style and culture of the Ivory Coast.
- jewelry - Ornaments such as bracelets, necklaces, and rings, of precious or semiprecious materials worn or carried on the person for adornment; also includes similar articles worn or carried for devotional or mourning purposes.
- metal - Any of a large group of substances that typically show a characteristic luster, are good conductors of electricity and heat, are opaque, can be fused, and are usually malleable or ductile.
- Senufo - Refers to the styles and culture of a group of closely related peoples of northern Ctte d'Ivoire and southeastern Mali.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
- African Art from the Collection of Margaret Feurer Plass '17 Bryn Mawr College , May 19, 1990 – Oct 1, 1992
The following Bibliography exist for this object:
Frisk & Borodin Appraisers,
Inventory and Appraisement Belonging to the Estate of Margaret Barton Plass, Deceased. 7 March 1990
Bryn Mawr College Special Collections.
Bryn Mawr, PA, 1990
Page Number: 2, Figure Number: 38
The following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "National Museum of African Art Online Database." (Accessed April 12, 2020): Smithsonian, https://africa.si.edu/collections/collections. Accession No.: 68-36-55.
- "musée du quai Branly-Jacque Chirac Online Collection." (Accessed July 20, 2020): musée du quai Branly-Jacque Chirac, http://www.quaibranly.fr/en/explore-collections/. Accession No.: 71.1938.18.394.
- "Artkhade: The Auctions Database of Ancient Arts from Africa, Asia, Oceania and the Americas." (Accessed April 23, 2020): https://www.artkhade.com/en. Record No.: TMH-007424.
The following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- Anita J. Glaze, "Senufo Ornament and Decorative Arts." African Arts 12, no. 1 (November 1978): 63-71,107-108.
- "The Met Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History." Divination and Senufo Sculpture in West Africa (Accessed July 20, 2020): https://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/divi/hd_divi.htm.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Margaret Feuer Plass Collection" and [Object]Century is "20th century" and [Object]Culture-Nationality is "Senufo, Ivorian, West African, African".View current selection of records as: