Wakemia or Wunkirmian (Ceremonial Ladle)19th century - 20th century
16.5 x 4.5 x 2 in. (41.91 x 11.43 x 5.08 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- carvings - Refers to works executed by cutting a figure or design out of a solid material such as stone or wood. It typically refers to works that are relatively small in size, are part of a larger work, or are not considered art. For large and medium-sized three-dimensional works of art, use the broader term "sculpture" or another appropriate term.
- ritual objects - Objects used for a particular ritual activity, often as part of a ceremony.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
- wood - The principal tissue of trees and other plants that provides both strength and a means of conducting nutrients. Wood is one of the most versatile materials known.
- wunkermian - Large, wooden, serving spoons with carved handles, typically in the form of a human head, domestic animals or ornament, used by the Dan and neighboring peoples in Liberia in association with feasts, and serving as a symbol of hospitality and generosity.
- Journeys Through African Womanhood Bryn Mawr College , Feb 14, 2003 – Mar 28, 2003
- A Celebration of Black History: African Art from the Neufeld and Plass Collections Bryn Mawr College , Feb 24, 1992 – Mar 13, 1992
The following Bibliography exist for this object:
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0178062.
Frisk & Borodin Appraisers,
Inventory and Appraisement Belonging to the Estate of Margaret Barton Plass, Deceased. 7 March 1990
Bryn Mawr College Special Collections.
Bryn Mawr, PA, 1990
Page Number: 3, Figure Number: 41
The following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- "Rand African Art." (Accessed May 9, 2020): Randafricanart.com. http://www.randafricanart.com/Dan_Wunkirmian_spoon_1.html.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Margaret Feuer Plass Collection" and [Object]Culture-Nationality is "Dan, Ivorian, West African, African" and [Object]Century is "19th century, 20th century".View current selection of records as: