Margaret Feuer Plass Collection
|Showing 1 of 1||
Okwa Nzu (Chalk Bowl)19th century - 20th century
10 in. x 4 5/8 in. (25.4 cm x 11.68 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- bowls - Rounded vessels that are generally wider than they are high, usually hemispherical or nearly so. A bowl may have a spreading base or foot ring and sometimes two handles or a cover. Distinguished from a cup, which is rather deep than wide.
- chalk - A fine-grained limestone, or soft, earthy form of calcium carbonate; used chiefly in putty, crayons, paint, rubber products, linoleum, and as a pigment and abrasive.
- Igbo Laja
- ritual objects - Objects used for a particular ritual activity, often as part of a ceremony.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
- Journeys Through African Womanhood Bryn Mawr College , Feb 14, 2003 – Mar 28, 2003
- African Images, Western Imageries: Collecting and Recollecting African Bryn Mawr College , Sep 26, 1999 – Jun 15, 2000
- A Celebration of Black History: African Art from the Neufeld and Plass Collections Bryn Mawr College , Feb 24, 1992 – Mar 13, 1992
- African Art from the Collection of Margaret Feurer Plass '17 Bryn Mawr College , May 19, 1990 – Oct 1, 1992
The following Bibliography exist for this object:
Frisk & Borodin Appraisers,
Inventory and Appraisement Belonging to the Estate of Margaret Barton Plass, Deceased. 7 March 1990
Bryn Mawr College Special Collections.
Bryn Mawr, PA, 1990
Page Number: 2, Figure Number: 27
The following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0095251.
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0095261.
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0095252.
The following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- Herbert M. Cole and Chike C. Aniakor. Igbo Arts : Community and Cosmos (Los Angeles, CA: Museum of Cultural History, University of California, 1984), 63-65. Figure Number: 105
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Margaret Feuer Plass Collection" and [Object]Culture-Nationality is "Igbo, Nigerian, West African, African".View current selection of records as: