Margaret Liu, Class of 1954, Collection of Arctic Ivories
|Showing 1 of 1||
(1941 - ) Primary
Small Carved Walrus FigurineSecond half 20th century
1.563 x 2.5 x 1.688 in. (3.969 x 6.35 x 4.286 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- Arctic - In the context of art and culture, the culture of the indigenous peoples of the northern polar region of the earth, including the Arctic Ocean and the northernmost parts of Asia, Europe, and North America. The term may also refer to the animals, plants, climate, geology, geography, and oceanography of the area.
- carvings - Refers to works executed by cutting a figure or design out of a solid material such as stone or wood. It typically refers to works that are relatively small in size, are part of a larger work, or are not considered art. For large and medium-sized three-dimensional works of art, use the broader term "sculpture" or another appropriate term.
- North American - Refers to the cultures of the continent of North America, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Pacific Ocean, the Arctic Circle, and Central America. In classifications schemes based on physical geography, Central America, and North America are parts of the same continent.
- pigment - Any relatively insoluble organic, inorganic, natural or artificial substance that imparts a color to another substance or mixture and always appears as the same specific color when viewed in white light. It is the constituent of paint or ink that provides the color. Distinguished from a dye, which is soluble in the vehicle, a pigment is insoluble in the vehicle, but instead is held in a suspension.
- walrus ivory - Material comprising the dentin of walrus tusks.
- Yup'ik - Refers to the culture of the Yup'ik, a Western Eskimo group of Siberian Asia and of Saint Lawrence Island and the Diomede Islands in the Bering Sea and Strait. The Yup'ik are culturally related to the Chukchi.
- Object Dimensions: 1.563 x 2.5 x 1.688 in. (3.969 x 6.35 x 4.286 cm)
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Margaret Liu, Class of 1954, Collection of Arctic Ivories" and [Object]Culture-Nationality is "Yupik, Arctic, Alaskan, North American, Native American".View current selection of records as: