Small Carving of a Duck20th century
1.688 x 0.75 x 1.5 in. (4.286 x 1.905 x 3.81 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- Arctic - In the context of art and culture, the culture of the indigenous peoples of the northern polar region of the earth, including the Arctic Ocean and the northernmost parts of Asia, Europe, and North America. The term may also refer to the animals, plants, climate, geology, geography, and oceanography of the area.
- carvings - Refers to works executed by cutting a figure or design out of a solid material such as stone or wood. It typically refers to works that are relatively small in size, are part of a larger work, or are not considered art. For large and medium-sized three-dimensional works of art, use the broader term "sculpture" or another appropriate term.
- ducks - General term for members of various species of relatively small, short-necked, large-billed waterfowl. They differ from geese in being smaller in size and having legs that are placed rearward, and the result is a distinctive waddling gait. Males, known as drakes, and females, known as hens, exhibit some degree of differentiation in plumage and in call.
- North American - Refers to the cultures of the continent of North America, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Pacific Ocean, the Arctic Circle, and Central America. In classifications schemes based on physical geography, Central America, and North America are parts of the same continent.
- pigment - Any relatively insoluble organic, inorganic, natural or artificial substance that imparts a color to another substance or mixture and always appears as the same specific color when viewed in white light. It is the constituent of paint or ink that provides the color. Distinguished from a dye, which is soluble in the vehicle, a pigment is insoluble in the vehicle, but instead is held in a suspension.
- walrus ivory - Material comprising the dentin of walrus tusks.
- Object Dimensions: 1.688 x 0.75 x 1.5 in. (4.286 x 1.905 x 3.81 cm)
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Margaret Liu, Class of 1954, Collection of Arctic Ivories".View current selection of records as: