Early Iron Age Anatolian Plain White Kitchen Ware Rim Sherd of MortarEarly Iron Age
1100 BCE - 850 BCE
3 1/4 in. x 4 5/8 in. x 7/16 in. (8.26 cm x 11.79 cm x 1.17 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2009.14.1048
Other Number(s): B 185 (Site No.)
Geography: Asia, Turkey, Tarsus
Classification: Unclassifiable Artifacts; Artifact Remnants; Sherds
Culture/Nationality: Prehistoric Anatolian
Collection: Tarsus Excavation
Findspot: Find Spot: Gözlükule, Tarsus, Turkey, pithoi from burned room N of unit L; Date: 1938; Meters: 15.70-16.10
This object has the following keywords:
- Early Iron Age - Refers to the earliest phase of the Iron Age, when the distinct functional properties of iron were first exploited, including the use of forging, and it began to supplant bronze in the production of tools and weapons.
- Iron Age - Refers to the period and culture associated with the third age in the Three Age system developed by Christian Jürgensen Thomsen in 1836. Iron Age culture typically developed from the Bronze Age at the point when the qualities of iron were exploited, particularly through carburization, in the manufacture of tools, weapons, and implements. It developed at different times in various parts of the world, first appearing in the Middle East and southeastern Europe around 1,200 BCE, and in China around 600 BCE. In the Americas, it did not develop from the Bronze Age but was introduced to Stone Age cultures by European explorers.
- mortars - Receptacles of a hard material, such as stone, brass, wood, or glass, that have a cup-shaped cavity in which materials are pounded or ground with a pestle. Often used to grind ingredients used in a pharmacy, painting, or cookery.
- rim sherds - Fragments of a ceramic or glass vessel from just below the rim.
The following Bibliography exist for this object:
- Hetty Goldman, "Excavations at Gozlu Kule, Tarsus: Volume III, Plates," (1963): Group 119 , Figure Number: 297.
- Hetty Goldman, "Excavations at Gozlu Kule, Tarsus: Volume III, Text," (1963): 187.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Pottery from Tarsus Excavations" and [Object]Period/Era/Dynasty is "Early Iron Age".View current selection of records as: