This object does not have an image.
Watercolor on paper
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: JNE.C.203
Classification: Fine and Visual Arts; Paintings; Watercolors and Gouaches
Collection: John N. Estabrook Collection
This object has the following keywords:
- boats - Watercraft generally smaller and less seaworthy than ships and generally not designed to cross large open waters.
- engravings - Prints on paper incorporating impressions of a reverse design created on a printing plate, usually copper, into which the design has been incised (engraved) using burins or gravers. Historically, "engravings" has sometimes been incorrectly used to refer to all prints, regardless of the specific technique. For prints made from designs engraved on a flat wooden block, use "wood cuts"; for prints made from a plate that is etched rather than engraved, use "etchings."
- etchings - Prints made from an etched printing plate, which is a metal plate on which a design is made by coating the plate with an acid-resistant substance, creating a design in the coating, and then exposing the plate to acid, which etches the plate where the metal is exposed. For designs incised directly into a copper plate using a burin or graver, use "engravings (prints)."
- lithographs - Prints made using the process of lithography, which is a planographic printing process in which a design is deposited on the stone or plate with a greasy substance which will accept ink.
- marines - Creative works that depict scenes having to do with ships, shipbuilding, or harbors. For creative works depicting the ocean or other large body of water where the water itself dominates the scene, use "seascapes."
- men - Refers to male human beings from young adulthood through old age.
- watercolors - Refers to two-dimensional works of art, usually on a paper support, to which pigment suspended in water is applied with a brush to create an image or design. Includes paintings using gouache, which is not technically watercolor paint. Watercolors are variously classified as drawings or paintings in collections.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "John N. Estabrook Collection".View current selection of records as: