Court DollLikely 20th century
5 1/2 in. x 4 1/2 in. x 8 in. (13.97 cm x 11.43 cm x 20.32 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- ceramic ware - Visual works made of ceramic, especially art works in the form of sculptures, vessels, and other decorative and utilitarian objects made of bone china, porcelain, or stoneware. For the general classification of anything made of ceramic, use "ceramic (object genre)."
- dolls - Figurines representing humans or animals, including but not restricted to those intended as toys for children, usually girls, or as collectibles for adults. Dolls are commonly in the form of a baby or woman, often with changeable clothes; they may have moveable arms and legs. Doll may be made of cloth (rag dolls), wood, clay, porcelain, wax, paper, plastic, celluloid, corn husks, or other materials. Dolls may also be figurines used for ceremonial, religious, or decorative purposes. Archaeological evidence suggests that dolls were the first playthings; they have been found in Babylonian and Egyptian tombs from ca. 3000 BCE. In ancient Greece and Rome, maturing girls consecrated their childhood dolls to the goddesses. Cloth dolls in the form of animals are generally called "stuffed toys."
- Japanese - Nationality, periods, cultures, and styles found in Japan, either in historical times or in the present.
- textiles - General term for carpets, fabrics, costume, or other works made of textile materials, which are natural or synthetic fibers created by weaving, felting, knotting, twining, or otherwise processing. For works of art or high craft that employ textile as a medium, prefer "textile art (visual works)."
- toys - Material objects contrived for amusement rather than for practical use by children or pets, or intended as collectibles by adults. Toys are generally miniature versions of real beings or objects that lend themselves to imaginative or imitative play. Toys may also be items for use in games. Among the earliest toys were dolls and balls.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Elizabeth Gray Vining Collection" and [Object]Object Type Sub 1 is "Toys".View current selection of records as: