- Refers to the cultures of the continent of Asia, which is in the eastern hemisphere, and is bounded by the Pacific Ocean, the Indian Ocean, the Arctic Ocean, and is generally considered to be delimited on the west by the Ural Mountains. It also refers to the numerous islands off the coast of Asia.
- Rigid, often rectangular containers usually with a lid or cover in which something nonliquid is kept or carried.
- Nationality, periods, cultures, and styles found in Japan, either in historical times or in the present.
- Visual works made of or decorated with lacquer, which is paint or varnish that dries with a high gloss. Works are usually made of thin wood, then coated and decorated with lacquer applied in several coats. This dries to a very hard and smooth surface layer which is durable, waterproof, and attractive to feel and look at. Works of lacquer may be painted with pictures, inlaid with shell and other materials, carved, or dusted with gold and given other further decorative treatments.
- Written or oral compositions characterized by condensed language chosen for sound and suggestive power as well as meaning, and by the use of such literary techniques as structured meter, natural cadences, rhyme, or metaphor.
- Japanese prints of a standard size, about 14 by 4 inches.
Click an image to view a larger version
This object was included in the following exhibitions:
The Tale of Genji: From Princesses to Pop
Bryn Mawr College
, 1/25/2017 - 3/5/2017
Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolio
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
If you would like to cite this object in a Wikipedia article please use the following template:
<ref name=BMC>cite web |url=http://triarte.brynmawr.edu/objects-1/info/152795 |title=Four Tanzaku (Oblong Cards) and Kinmake Lacquer Box |author=Bryn Mawr College Library Special Collections |accessdate=6/18/2021 |publisher=Bryn Mawr College</ref>
Showing 28 of 59
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Elizabeth Gray Vining Collection".