Collared Jar with Horrible Bird ImageryMiddle Nasca; Phase 5
325 - 440
6 3/4 x 7 1/4 x 7 1/4 in. (17.1 x 18.4 x 18.4 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 69.1.440
Other Number(s): D58 (Canaday No.)
Geography: South America, Peru
Classification: Containers and Vessels; Vessels; Jars
Culture/Nationality: Nasca, Peruvian, South American
Collection: Ward M. Canaday Collection
Middle Nasca (Phase 5, 325-440 A.D.) collared jar painted with a variety of the Horrible Bird. The supernatural aspect of this bird is seen in the inclusion of a trophy head in its wing panel, even though the bird is not eating the trophy head.
This object has the following keywords:
- Animalia - Kingdom containing multicellular organisms having cells bound by a plasma membrane and organized into tissue and specialized tissue systems that permit them to either move about in search of food or to draw food toward themselves. Unable to make their own food within themselves, as photosynthetic plants do, they rely on consuming preformed food. They possess a nervous system with sensory and motor nerves, enabling them to receive environmental stimuli and to respond with specialized movements.
- Aves - The class of vertebrate animals that are typically bipedal and warm-blooded, lay large-yolked hardshelled eggs, often arboreal, and possessing feathers, hollow bones, forelimbs adapted for flight (although some have lost the ability to fly) and hindlimbs for perching and locomotion, a four-chambered heart, keen vision, a horny beak without teeth, and a large muscular stomach. Birds arose from theropod dinosaurs, which were an order of carnivorous dinosaurs.
- Peruvian - Of or belonging to the nation of Peru or its people.
This object was included in the following exhibitions:
- Mass Production of Art in Pre-Columbian Cultures: Moldmade Peruvian Pottery from the Bryn Mawr College Collection , Aug 31, 1998 – Nov 24, 1998
The following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- Donald A. Proulx, A Sourcebook of Nasca Ceramic Iconography (Iowa City, IA: University of Iowa Press, 2006), 35, 82. Figure Number: 5.41
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Featured Nasca Pottery".View current selection of records as: