Bowl with Fish Imagery100 BCE - 750 CE
2 3/8 in. x 6 7/8 in. x 6 7/8 in. (6 cm x 17.5 cm x 17.46 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 69.1.310
Other Number(s): E.55 (Canaday No.)
Geography: South America, Peru
Classification: Containers and Vessels; Vessels; Bowls
Culture/Nationality: Nasca, Peruvian, South American
Collection: Ward M. Canaday Collection
This object has the following keywords:
- bowls - Rounded, cuplike, hollow parts of objects, such as the body of a stemmed vessel or the part of a pipe in which tobacco is burned.
- bowls - Rounded vessels that are generally wider than they are high, usually hemispherical or nearly so. A bowl may have a spreading base or foot ring and sometimes two handles or a cover. Distinguished from a cup, which is rather deep than wide.
- fish - General term referring to animals from several evolutionary lines and thus not properly a taxonomic group. The term refers to aquatic animals found in the fresh and salt waters all over the world, characterized by being cold-blooded, living and breathing primarily in the water throughout their lives, possessing gill slits, a notochord or skeletal supporting rod, a dorsal hollow nerve cord, a tail, scales covering the body, and two sets of paired fins and several unpaired fins. Living species range from the primitive jawless lampreys and hagfishes through the jawed fishes with cartilaginous skeletons such as sharks, skates, and rays to the abundant and diverse bony fishes.
- Peruvian - Of or belonging to the nation of Peru or its people.
- vessels - Containers designed to serve as receptacles for a liquid or other substance, usually those of circular section and made of some durable material; especially containers of this nature in domestic use, employed in connection with the preparation or serving of food or drink, and usually of a size suitable for carrying by hand.
The following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- Donald A. Proulx, A Sourcebook of Nasca Ceramic Iconography (Iowa City, IA: University of Iowa Press, 2006), 150-151. Figure Number: 5.194
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Featured Nasca Pottery".View current selection of records as: