Republican Denarius of Rome Issued by Sex. PompeiusRepublican
3/4 x 3/4 x 1/16 in. (1.9 x 1.9 x 0.1 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- Animalia - Kingdom containing multicellular organisms having cells bound by a plasma membrane and organized into tissue and specialized tissue systems that permit them to either move about in search of food or to draw food toward themselves. Unable to make their own food within themselves, as photosynthetic plants do, they rely on consuming preformed food. They possess a nervous system with sensory and motor nerves, enabling them to receive environmental stimuli and to respond with specialized movements.
- Aves - The class of vertebrate animals that are typically bipedal and warm-blooded, lay large-yolked hardshelled eggs, often arboreal, and possessing feathers, hollow bones, forelimbs adapted for flight (although some have lost the ability to fly) and hindlimbs for perching and locomotion, a four-chambered heart, keen vision, a horny beak without teeth, and a large muscular stomach. Birds arose from theropod dinosaurs, which were an order of carnivorous dinosaurs.
- children - People in the earliest developmental stage of life.
- denarii - Roman silver coins originally valued at ten asses, later debased in value and purity; in use from the late 3rd century BCE until the mid-3rd century CE.
- female - Referring to the sex that normally produces eggs or female germ cells.
- Ficus - Genus containing about 850 species of woody trees, shrubs, and vines native to tropical and semi-warm temperate zones. Fig species are characterized by their unique inflorescence and distinctive pollination syndrome, utilizing specific wasp species for pollination.
- Gods and Goddesses - Added June 2010 by M. Weldon
- helmets - Any of various forms of protective coverings for the head, usually made of a hard material, including the outside steel layer of helmets that consist of inner and outer parts.
- Heroes and Myth
- infants - Children in the earliest stage of their lives, before being able to walk.
- pitchers - Vessels, generally of ceramic, glass, metal, or plastic, that have a wide mouth with a broad lip and usually a handle at one side, but sometimes having two ears; includes those accompanied by a washbowl and used for personal hygiene.
- Republican - Refers to the period in history and style of art that developed when Rome was ruled by the Republic, from its founding in 509 BCE through the Battle of Actium in 31 BCE or the formal establishment of the Empire in 27 BCE. Art produced during this period reflects the political power, glories, and distinguished ancestors of the ruling families, resulting in many portraits and historical reliefs. The style is characterized by the influence of Classical Greek art and an emphasis on extreme realism.
- shepherds - Persons who guard, tend and herd flocks of sheep grazing at large.
- silver - Pure metallic element having symbol Ag and atomic number 47; a malleable, ductile, white metal with characteristic sheen, considered a precious metal. Silver is widely distributed throughout the world, occurring rarely as metallic silver (in Peru, Norway) but more often as silver-gold alloys and silver ore. Today silver is obtained as a byproduct in the refinement of gold, lead, copper, or zinc ores. Silver was smelted from the ore galena as early as 3800 BCE. As a pure metal, silver is second to gold in malleability and ductility, can be polished to a highly reflective surface, and used -- typically in an alloy -- in jewelry, coinage, photography, mirrors, electrical contacts, and tableware.
- twins - Two siblings conceived, carried in the womb, and usually born at the same time. They may be identical, as when one fertilized egg splits, or fraternal, as when two eggs are individually fertilized.
- wolves - General term applied to members of various large, wild species of Canis, particularly those of North America and Eurasia that hunt in packs.
- A Treasury of Knowledge: An Exhibition of the Bryn Mawr Collection of Ancient Coins , Sep 1, 2005 – Dec 1, 2005
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Featured Coins" and [Object]Period/Era/Dynasty is "Republican" and [Object]Country of Creation is "Italy".View current selection of records as: