Textile Fragment with Geometric Design of CamelidsLate Horizon
1450 - 1534 ?
19 11/16 x 12 13/16 x 1/8 in. (50 x 32.5 x 0.3 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- Animalia - Kingdom containing multicellular organisms having cells bound by a plasma membrane and organized into tissue and specialized tissue systems that permit them to either move about in search of food or to draw food toward themselves. Unable to make their own food within themselves, as photosynthetic plants do, they rely on consuming preformed food. They possess a nervous system with sensory and motor nerves, enabling them to receive environmental stimuli and to respond with specialized movements.
- double weave - Heavy textile consisting of two separate textiles woven simultaneously, one above the other. The warp is composed of two series of ends, and each interlaces with its own weft, or with a common weft which works with each series in turn. In patterned double weave, the two textiles change position as required by the pattern.
- geometric patterns
- Late Horizon - The seventh of the seven main chronological phases recognized in Andean archaeology, generally dating 1476-1534 CE, during which the Inca established an empire controlled from Cuzco, which eventually reached from central Chile to southern Colombia. The period ends in 1534, the year marking the fall of the Inca empire after the Spanish conquest.
- Peruvian - Of or belonging to the nation of Peru or its people.
- stripes - Long, narrow bands, typically of a different color.
- textiles - General term for carpets, fabrics, costume, or other works made of textile materials, which are natural or synthetic fibers created by weaving, felting, knotting, twining, or otherwise processing. For works of art or high craft that employ textile as a medium, prefer "textile art (visual works)."
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Featured Peruvian Textiles" and [Object]Object Type Sub 1 is "Artifact Remnants" and [Object]Period/Era/Dynasty is "Late Horizon".View current selection of records as: