Inca Tapestry Fragment with Repeating Feather PatternSpanish Colonial
Likely 16th century
19 3/16 x 12 5/8 x 1/16 in. (48.8 x 32 x 0.2 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- Peruvian - Of or belonging to the nation of Peru or its people.
- selvage - The longitudinal edge of a piece of textile closed by weft loops, often distinguished by warp ends differing from those in the body of the textile and sometimes by a change in the binding.
- Spanish Colonial - Refers to the style and period dating from the early 16th century through the early 19th century, in areas colonized by Spain, particularly the Americas. The style is mainly seen in paintings, sculpture, and in ecclesiastical and military architecture. The style reflects the tastes of aristocratic landholders and the church, and generally imitates styles current in Spain, the Netherlands, Italy, and France, with some limited influence from native traditions of design and representation.
- tapestry - Refers to the process used to create tapestries, which are heavy, woven textiles characterized by ornamental or pictorial designs and used as wall hangings, curtains, upholstery, or to hang from windows or balconies. The process is performed on a tapestry loom and differs from cloth-weaving in that the weft travels only to the warp at the edge of a particular color or pattern in the design, rather traveling from edge to edge of the entire piece of fabric. Various techniques are used in mixing and overlaying colors to create shading and patterns. Details of the design are often painted or embroidered.
- textiles - General term for carpets, fabrics, costume, or other works made of textile materials, which are natural or synthetic fibers created by weaving, felting, knotting, twining, or otherwise processing. For works of art or high craft that employ textile as a medium, prefer "textile art (visual works)."
- toothed tapestry - Tapestry weaving technique in which different color weft threads are turned alternately around a common end.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Featured Peruvian Textiles" and [Object]Display Artist is "Unknown Inca".View current selection of records as: