Mace and Helen Katz Neufeld Collection
|Showing 1 of 1||
Bamileke-Bangwa Gong20th century
16 9/16 in. x 4 5/16 in. x 3 3/4 in. (42 cm x 11 cm x 9.5 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- bells - Flared or bulbous terminals found on many open-ended aerophone tubes.
- Cameroonian - Style and culture of the nation of Cameroon, lying at the junction of western and central Africa.
- Central African - Styles and cultures from a wide region of Africa that straddles the Equator and is drained largely by the Congo River system.
- ceremonial objects
- iron - Pure metallic element having symbol Fe and atomic number 26; metallic iron is silvery in color, lustrous, soft, ductile, malleable, and slightly magnetic; it rusts when exposed to moist air. It is rarely found as a native metal (telluric iron) except in meteorites (meteoric iron). Iron is most often found throughout the world as iron oxides (hematite, magnetite, limonite, and siderite) mixed with other ores.
- smelting - Melting or fusing ore, often with an accompanying chemical change, usually to separate the metal.
This object was included in the following exhibitions:
- Highlights from the Mace and Helen Katz Neufeld Donation of African Art Bryn Mawr College , Sep 1, 1998 – Dec 1, 1998
Owner Name: Mace Neufeld and Helen Katz Neufeld, Class of 1953
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, US
Ownership End Date: 12/20/1996
Owner Name: Marc Leo Felix
Role: Previous Owner
Place: Brussels, Belgium
Acquisition Method: Purchased at the Philippe Guimiot Gallery in Duala, Cameroon
Ownership Start Date: ca. 1969
Owner Name: Philippe Guimiot
Place: Duala, Cameroon
Acquisition Method: Collected in 1960
Ownership Start Date: 1960
Ownership End Date: ca. 1969
The following Bibliography exist for this object:
Important Tribal Art
New York, NY, 1989
Figure Number: 191
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0009350.
The following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0152851.
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0009354.
The following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- Paul Gebauer, Art of Cameroon (Portland, Oregon and New York, New York: Portland Art Museum and Metropolitan Museum of Art, 1979), 255. Figure Number: P108
- Jonathan Fine, "Selling Authenticity in the Bamum Kingdom in 1929–1930." African Arts 49, no. 2 (Summer 2016): https://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi/pdfplus/10.1162/AFAR_a_00286.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Mace and Helen Katz Neufeld Collection" and [Object]Display Artist is "Unknown Cameroonian".View current selection of records as: