Ile Ori (House of the Head Shrine)Mid 20th century
19 x 9.5 x 9.5 in. (48.26 x 24.13 x 24.13 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- ritual objects - Objects used for a particular ritual activity, often as part of a ceremony.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
- Mirrors and Masks: Reflections and Constructions of the Self Bryn Mawr College , Mar 23, 2017 – Jun 4, 2017
- Backtalk: Exposures, Erasures, and Elisions of the Bryn Mawr College African Art Collection Bryn Mawr College , Feb 5, 2015 – Jun 1, 2015
- African Images, Western Imageries: Collecting and Recollecting African Bryn Mawr College , Sep 26, 1999 – Jun 15, 2000
The following Bibliography exist for this object:
Important Tribal Art
New York, NY, 1989
Figure Number: 171
and Steven Z. Levine.
Mirrors & Masks.
Bryn Mawr College.
Bryn Mawr, PA, March, 2017
Page Number: 58, Figure Number: Plate 19
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0101197.
The following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0101191.
- "Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco." (Accessed April 8, 2020): Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, https://art.famsf.org/. Accession No.: 2008.38.111a-b.
- "Dallas Museum of Art Online Collections." (Accessed May 10, 2020): collections.dma.org. Accession No.: 2005.13.
The following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- "The Met Online Collections Database." The Met Collection. (Accessed April 9, 2020): The Metropolitan Museum of Art, https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/. Accession No.: 1986.477.1.
- "ÌMỌ̀ DÁRA." (Accessed May 10, 2020): Imodara.com. https://www.imodara.com/discover/nigeria-yoruba-ile-ori-house-of-the-head-shrine/.
- "Dallas Museum of Art Online Collections." (Accessed May 10, 2020): collections.dma.org. Accession No.: 99.3.104_2005.13.
- Babatunde Lawal, "Orí: The Significance of the Head in Yoruba Sculpture." Journal of Anthropological Research 41, no. 1 (Spring 1985): 91-103.
- Rowland Abiodun, Yoruba Art and Language: Seeking the African in African Art (New York, New York: Cambridge University Press, 2014), 76-77. Figure Number: 25
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Mace and Helen Katz Neufeld Collection" and [Object]Display Artist is "Unknown Yoruba".View current selection of records as: