Maternity FigureLate 19th century - early 20th century
24 1/2 in. x 10 1/2 in. x 9 in. (62.23 cm x 26.67 cm x 22.86 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- children - People in the earliest developmental stage of life.
- maternity - State of being a mother; also the qualities belonging to or associated with being a mother or being pregnant.
- mothers - Women who have children, either biologically or by adoption.
- scarifications - Refers to permanent marks, such as symbols, patterns, or other designs, made on human skin by scarring, done for social or cultural reasons or for personal decoration.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
- Exhibiting Africa: Ways of Seeing, Knowing, and Showing Bryn Mawr College , Jan 25, 2017 – Mar 5, 2017
- Worlds to Discover: 125 Years of Collections at Bryn Mawr College Bryn Mawr College , Sep 24, 2010 – May 28, 2011
- African Images, Western Imageries: Collecting and Recollecting African Bryn Mawr College , Sep 26, 1999 – Jun 15, 2000
- African and Pacific Art from the Neufeld Collection Bryn Mawr College , Apr 28, 1993 – Jun 1, 1993
Owner Name: Sotheby's Parke-Bernet Inc. (Anonymous Seller) Lot 166
Place: New York, New York
Ownership End Date: November 4, 1981
Remarks: Sotheby Parke Bernet Inc., New York, "Pre-Columbian, American Indian, African Art and Oceanic Art, Egyptian, Classical, Western Asiatic, Islamic Art, and Later Works of Art", 4 November 1981. Lot 166. Bought by ? $440
Owner Name: Mace Neufeld and Helen Katz Neufeld, Class of 1953
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, US
Ownership End Date: 7/18/1991
The following Bibliography exist for this object:
and Emily Croll.
Worlds to Discover.
Bryn Mawr College.
Bryn Mawr, PA, 2010
Page Number: 32
- Melanie Sonnenborn, "BMC African Art Collections Lack Only for Space." The College News 13, no. 5 (December 5, 1991): 1.
- Sotheby Parke Bernet Inc., "Sotheby Parke Bernet Auction." Sale Number 4721Y (November 4, 1981): New York, New York. Figure Number: 166.
The following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0108906.
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0106140.
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0108857.
The following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- Stefan Eisenhofer, ed. Kulte, Künstler, Könige in Afrika: Tradition und Moderne in Südnigeria (Linz, Austria: des Oberösterreichisches Landesmuseums, 1977), 309-313. Figure Number: 11.44
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Mace and Helen Katz Neufeld Collection" and [Object]Display Artist is "Unknown Yoruba".View current selection of records as: