Mace and Helen Katz Neufeld Collection
|Showing 1 of 1||
Staff Finial Figure19th century - 20th century
10 1/4 in. x 2 3/8 in. x 2 15/16 in. (26 cm x 6 cm x 7.5 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- carvings - Refers to works executed by cutting a figure or design out of a solid material such as stone or wood. It typically refers to works that are relatively small in size, are part of a larger work, or are not considered art. For large and medium-sized three-dimensional works of art, use the broader term "sculpture" or another appropriate term.
- Central African - Styles and cultures from a wide region of Africa that straddles the Equator and is drained largely by the Congo River system.
- Congolese - Nationality, styles, and cultures of the Republic of the Congo.
- figures - Representations of humans, animals, or mythical beasts, in any medium.
- ritual objects - Objects used for a particular ritual activity, often as part of a ceremony.
- staffs - Long sticks carried in the hand for support in walking.
- wood - The principal tissue of trees and other plants that provides both strength and a means of conducting nutrients. Wood is one of the most versatile materials known.
- Zela - Style and culture of the African ethnic group of the same name inhabiting Democratic Republic of Congo.
Owner Name: Mace Neufeld and Helen Katz Neufeld, Class of 1953
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, US
Ownership End Date: 12/20/1996
The following Bibliography exist for this object:
Important Tribal Art
New York, NY, 1989
Figure Number: 229
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0028420.
The following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0028794.
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0155345.
The following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- Jean- Baptiste Bacquart, The Tribal Arts of Africa (New York, NY: Thames & Hudson, 1998), 157.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Mace and Helen Katz Neufeld Collection" and [Object]Display Artist is "Unknown Zela".View current selection of records as: