Koredugaso (Horse Head Puppet Mask)19th century - 20th century
34 in. x 10 1/2 in. (86.36 cm x 26.67 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- Malian - Style and culture of Mali in West Africa, either the ancient empire of the 13th and 14th centuries or of the modern republic founded in 1960.
- puppets - Representations of figures made of wood, cloth, papier-mâché, ceramic, paper, or another material, designed to be animated by human effort, including the use of strings, wires, sticks, or directly by the hand, usually before an audience.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
- African and Pacific Art from the Neufeld Collection Bryn Mawr College , Apr 28, 1993 – Jun 1, 1993
Owner Name: Mace Neufeld and Helen Katz Neufeld, Class of 1953
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, US
Ownership End Date: 7/18/1991
The following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0077207.
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0077208.
The following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- Maria Kecskesi, Kunst aus dem alten Afrika: Staatliches Museum für Völkerkunde München (Innsbruck, Austria and Frankfurt, Germany: Pinguin-Verlag and Umschau-Verlag, 1982), 26-27. Figure Number: 15
- "The Collection." The Art Institute of Chicago Online Collections Database. (Accessed April 9, 2020): Art Institute Chicago, https://www.artic.edu/collection. Accession No.: 1964.229.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Mace and Helen Katz Neufeld Collection" and [Object]Culture-Nationality is "Bamana, Malian, West African, African".View current selection of records as: