Bocio (Pole Figure)19th century - 20th century
Carved wood and cast iron chain
30 11/16 in. x 7 1/2 in. x 7 1/2 in. (78 cm x 19 cm x 19 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 99.3.78
Other Number(s): 40 (105) (Neufeld Collection Number)
105 (Sotheby's Lot Number)
Geography: Africa, Bénin
Classification: Ceremonial and Performance Artifacts; Ritual Objects
Culture/Nationality: Fon, Beninese, West African, African
Collection: Neufeld Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- Beninese - Style and culture of the people of Bénin, particularly of the modern inhabitants. For the style and culture of the more ancient people of southern Nigeria, use "Benin."
- carvings - Refers to works executed by cutting a figure or design out of a solid material such as stone or wood. It typically refers to works that are relatively small in size, are part of a larger work, or are not considered art. For large and medium-sized three-dimensional works of art, use the broader term "sculpture" or another appropriate term.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
- wood - The principal tissue of trees and other plants that provides both strength and a means of conducting nutrients. Wood is one of the most versatile materials known.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Owner Name: Mace Neufeld and Helen Katz Neufeld, Class of 1953
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, US
Ownership End Date: 12/20/1996
Bibliography ListThe following Bibliography exist for this object:
Important Tribal Art
New York, NY, 1989
Figure Number: 105
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0111498.
Comparanda ListThe following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0111496.
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.:0111514.
- Jean- Baptiste Bacquart, The Tribal Arts of Africa (New York, NY: Thames & Hudson, 1998), 29-30. Figure Number: B
Related Bibliography ListThe following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- Jean- Baptiste Bacquart, The Tribal Arts of Africa (New York, NY: Thames & Hudson, 1998), 28-30.
- Susan Mullin Vogel, African Aesthetics: The Carlo Monzino Collection (New York, New York: The Center for Africa Art, 1986), 68-69. Figure Number: 60
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Mace and Helen Katz Neufeld Collection" and [Object]Culture-Nationality is "Fon, Beninese, West African, African".View current selection of records as: