Mace and Helen Katz Neufeld Collection
|Showing 1 of 1||
Face Mask19th century - 20th century
15 in. (38.1 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- Ivorian - Style and culture of the Ivory Coast.
- masks - Refers to coverings for all or part of the face, usually with openings for the eyes and sometimes the mouth. They are worn to hide or alter the identity of the wearer or for protection. Masks as cultural objects have been used throughout the world in all periods since the Stone Age. Masks are extremely varied in appearance, function, and fundamental meaning. They may be associated with ceremonies that have religious and social significance or are concerned with funerary customs, fertility rites, or curing sickness. They may be used on festive occasions or to portray characters in a dramatic performance and in re-enactments of mythological events. They may be used for warfare and as protective devices in certain sports. They are also employed as architectural ornaments.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
Owner Name: Mace Neufeld and Helen Katz Neufeld, Class of 1953
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, US
Ownership End Date: 7/18/1991
Owner Name: Ian Arundel; The Old Curiosity Shop
Place: Los Angeles, California, US
Ownership End Date: 1979 or before
The following Bibliography exist for this object:
Important Tribal Art
New York, NY, 1989
Figure Number: 133
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0178302.
The following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "Ancestor Gallery: Fine Tribal and Asian Art." (Accessed January 8, 2021): https://ancestorgallery.co.uk/africa/west-central. Figure Number: AF32.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Mace and Helen Katz Neufeld Collection" and [Object]Culture-Nationality is "Kulango, West African, Ivorian, African".View current selection of records as: