Japanese (1760 - 1849) Primary
Hokusai Gafu, Travelers in Rain1849
8 in. x 11 in. (20.32 cm x 27.94 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: X.1095
Geography: Asia, Japan
Classification: Fine and Visual Arts; Prints; Woodcuts
This object has the following keywords:
- Asian - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Asia, which is in the eastern hemisphere, and is bounded by the Pacific Ocean, the Indian Ocean, the Arctic Ocean, and is generally considered to be delimited on the west by the Ural Mountains. It also refers to the numerous islands off the coast of Asia.
- color woodcuts - Woodcuts that incorporate color, usually through combining a series of blocks in precise registration that have been inked with individual hues and pressed onto one support.
- insect damage - Damage caused by insects.
- Japanese - Nationality, periods, cultures, and styles found in Japan, either in historical times or in the present.
- lining - The process of stregthening or stabilizing by use of an inner layer, usually using paper or fabric. In conservation and other contexts, the process of reinforcing a work by applying a paper or fabric lining with an adhesive, sewing, or another method; examples include lining applied to the support of a paper or canvas support of a work of art, or the lining applied to a garment as an inner layer of cloth.
- meisho-e - Refers to Japanese prints or other works depicting famous places.
- Ukiyo-e - Distinctive genre in painting and other media, but most prominently in woodblock printing. It arose in the Edo period (1600-1868) and built up a broad popular market among the middle classes. Subject matter typically focused on brothel districts and kabuki theatres, with formats ranging from single sheet prints to book illustrations. Generally, the style is characterized by a mixture of the realistic narrative of the Kamakura period and the mature decorative style of the Momoyama and Edo periods. Distinctive styles and specialties in subject matter were developed by different schools throughout the period.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Asian Prints" and [Object]Century is "19th century" and [Object]Display Artist is "Katsushika Hokusai".View current selection of records as: