- Refers to the cultures of the continent of Asia, which is in the eastern hemisphere, and is bounded by the Pacific Ocean, the Indian Ocean, the Arctic Ocean, and is generally considered to be delimited on the west by the Ural Mountains. It also refers to the numerous islands off the coast of Asia.
- Woodcuts that incorporate color, usually through combining a series of blocks in precise registration that have been inked with individual hues and pressed onto one support.
- Nationality, periods, cultures, and styles found in Japan, either in historical times or in the present.
- Refers to Japanese prints or other works depicting famous places.
- Distinctive genre in painting and other media, but most prominently in woodblock printing. It arose in the Edo period (1600-1868) and built up a broad popular market among the middle classes. Subject matter typically focused on brothel districts and kabuki theatres, with formats ranging from single sheet prints to book illustrations. Generally, the style is characterized by a mixture of the realistic narrative of the Kamakura period and the mature decorative style of the Momoyama and Edo periods. Distinctive styles and specialties in subject matter were developed by different schools throughout the period.
- Prints made using the process of woodcut, which is a relief process in which the design is cut into and printed from the plank side of a wood block; distinct from "wood engraving (process)," which is a relief process using the grain end of a wood block.
Click an image to view a larger version
This object was included in the following exhibitions:
Japanese Wood Block Prints: Images of a Floating World
, 3/28/1987 - 5/3/1987
If you would like to cite this object in a Wikipedia article please use the following template:
<ref name=BMC>cite web |url=http://triarte.brynmawr.edu/objects-1/info/165681 |title=View of the Temple of Five Hundred Arhats (Gohyaku rakan no kei), from the series Famous Places in Edo, a New Selection (Shinsen Edo meisho) |author=Bryn Mawr College Library Special Collections |accessdate=12/2/2021 |publisher=Bryn Mawr College</ref>
Showing 98 of 253
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Asian Prints" and [Object]Century is "19th century".