Ikeda Eisen (aka Keisai Eisen)
Japanese (1790 - 1848) Primary
Carp in Waterfall or Carp Ascending WaterfallFirst half of 19th century
17 in. x 27 1/8 in. (43.18 cm x 68.9 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: SB.1
Geography: Asia, Japan
Classification: Fine and Visual Arts; Prints; Woodcuts
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- Asian - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Asia, which is in the eastern hemisphere, and is bounded by the Pacific Ocean, the Indian Ocean, the Arctic Ocean, and is generally considered to be delimited on the west by the Ural Mountains. It also refers to the numerous islands off the coast of Asia.
- color woodcuts - Woodcuts that incorporate color, usually through combining a series of blocks in precise registration that have been inked with individual hues and pressed onto one support.
- Japanese - Nationality, periods, cultures, and styles found in Japan, either in historical times or in the present.
- woodcuts - Prints made using the process of woodcut, which is a relief process in which the design is cut into and printed from the plank side of a wood block; distinct from "wood engraving (process)," which is a relief process using the grain end of a wood block.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Exhibition ListThis object was included in the following exhibitions:
- Beneath the Printed Pattern: Display and Disguise in Ukiyo-e Bijinga Bryn Mawr College , Sep 25, 2013 – Dec 20, 2013
- Japanese Wood Block Prints: Images of a Floating World Haverford College , Mar 28, 1987 – May 3, 1987
- Framed Dimensions: 17 x 27 1/8 in. (43.18 x 68.898 cm)
Bibliography ListThe following Bibliography exist for this object:
Japanese wood block Prints: Images of a Floating World.
Comfort Gallery, Haverford College.
Haverford, Pennsylvania, 1987
Page Number: 27 (Ex. 49)
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Asian Prints" and [Object]Display Artist is "Ikeda Eisen".View current selection of records as: