Attie Maternal Figure
|Showing 1 of 1||
Attie Maternal FigureLate 19th century - Early 20th century
12 1/2 in. x 6 in. x 6 in. (31.75 cm x 15.24 cm x 15.24 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- carvings - Refers to works executed by cutting a figure or design out of a solid material such as stone or wood. It typically refers to works that are relatively small in size, are part of a larger work, or are not considered art. For large and medium-sized three-dimensional works of art, use the broader term "sculpture" or another appropriate term.
- fertility - The quality of being fertile, that is, bearing or producing in abundance; the state of being fruitful or prolific.
- Ivorian - Style and culture of the Ivory Coast.
- painting - The application of paint to a surface primarily for protection or to apply a general color. For the application of pigments to a surface to create an expressive or communicative image, use "painting (image-making)."
- seated figures - Figures depicted in a clearly seated position, often with the chair or other seating furniture visible; may depict the full figure seated, or from the lap upwards.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
- wood - The principal tissue of trees and other plants that provides both strength and a means of conducting nutrients. Wood is one of the most versatile materials known.
- African Images, Western Imageries: Collecting and Recollecting African Bryn Mawr College , Sep 26, 1999 – Jun 15, 2000
- African and Pacific Art from the Neufeld Collection Bryn Mawr College , Apr 28, 1993 – Jun 1, 1993
Owner Name: Mace Neufeld and Helen Katz Neufeld, Class of 1953
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, US
Ownership End Date: 7/18/1991
The following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0070923.
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0070945.
- "Artkhade: The Auctions Database of Ancient Arts from Africa, Asia, Oceania and the Americas." (Accessed April 23, 2020): https://www.artkhade.com/en. https://www.artkhade.com/en/object/112488/vLfDjP/an-attie-figure-ivory-coast, Figure Number: XAV-112488.
The following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- Monica Blackmun Visona, "Redefining Twentieth Century African Art the View from the Lagoons of Côte d'Ivoire." African Arts 38, no. 4 (Winter 2005): 54-94.
- "Africa Direct: African Art and Beads Website." (Accessed May 4, 2020): https://www.africadirect.com/. https://www.africadirect.com/african-peoples-art-attye.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Attie Maternal Figure".View current selection of records as: