|Showing 1 of 1||
Axe19th century - 20th century
Carved wood and welded metal
17.5 x 14 in. (44.45 x 35.56 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 99.5.34
Other Number(s): 84-29 (Neufeld Collection Number)
Geography: Africa, Mali
Classification: Tools and Equipment; Arts and Crafts Tools
Culture/Nationality: Central African or West African, African
Collection: Neufeld Collection
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- axes - Cutting tools that consist of a relatively heavy edged, squarish head fixed to a handle, the edge or edges being parallel to the handle so as to be suited for striking, hewing, cleaving, or chopping, trees, wood, ice, or another material. For axes used as weapons, typically having wider blades, use "axes (weapons)." For similar tools that are smaller and lighter, use "hatchets." For long-handled tools with a curved blade set perpendicular to the handle and used for dressing lumber, use "adzes."
- Central African - Nationality, styles, and culture of the people of the nation of the République centrafricaine.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
Owner Name: Mace Neufeld and Helen Katz Neufeld, Class of 1953
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, US
Ownership End Date: 7/18/1991
The following Bibliography exist for this object:
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0176026.
The following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "Artkhade: The Auctions Database of Ancient Arts from Africa, Asia, Oceania and the Americas." (Accessed April 23, 2020): https://www.artkhade.com/en. Record No.: TXB-117635.
- "Collections Database for the Royal Museum of Central Africa (Turveren, Belgium)." (Accessed August 14, 2020): Africa Museum, https://www.africamuseum.be/en/research/collections_libraries/human_sciences/collections. Accession No.: EO.1961.11.8.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Axe".View current selection of records as: