|Showing 1 of 1||
Altar Stool19th century - 20th century
16 in. x 16 1/2 in. (40.64 cm x 41.91 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- Beninese - Style and culture of the people of Bénin, particularly of the modern inhabitants. For the style and culture of the more ancient people of southern Nigeria, use "Benin."
- carvings - Refers to works executed by cutting a figure or design out of a solid material such as stone or wood. It typically refers to works that are relatively small in size, are part of a larger work, or are not considered art. For large and medium-sized three-dimensional works of art, use the broader term "sculpture" or another appropriate term.
- figures - Representations of humans, animals, or mythical beasts, in any medium.
- ritual objects - Objects used for a particular ritual activity, often as part of a ceremony.
- shrines - Structures or large furnishings in which devotion is paid to a statue, picture, saint, deity or other holy objects. For containers for safeguarding the relics of a saint, use "reliquaries".
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
- wood - The principal tissue of trees and other plants that provides both strength and a means of conducting nutrients. Wood is one of the most versatile materials known.
- African Images, Western Imageries: Collecting and Recollecting African Bryn Mawr College , Sep 26, 1999 – Jun 15, 2000
- African and Pacific Art from the Neufeld Collection Bryn Mawr College , Apr 28, 1993 – Jun 1, 1993
Owner Name: Mace Neufeld and Helen Katz Neufeld, Class of 1953
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, US
Ownership End Date: 7/18/1991
The following Bibliography exist for this object:
African, Pacific Art Subjiect of Collection
Philadelphia, PA, Sunday, July 25, 1993
Page Number: MD05
- "The Neufeld Collection." News of the Library (1991-1992): 8.
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0182449.
The following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "The Collection." The Art Institute of Chicago Online Collections Database. (Accessed April 9, 2020): Art Institute Chicago, https://www.artic.edu/collection. Accession No.: 2002.276.
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0105620.
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0105600.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Altar Stool".View current selection of records as: