Inca Textile Fragment with Striped Design
|Showing 1 of 1||
Inca Textile Fragment with Striped DesignLate Horizon
1450 - 1534
17 1/2 x 10 7/16 x 1/16 in. (44.5 x 26.5 x 0.2 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- Inca - Pre-Columbian culture of the Central Andean area of South America; the early Inca people are recognizable in the archaeological record of the Late Intermediate Period (ca. 1000-1476 CE), from the 12th century onwards. The Inca established their capital at Cuzco (Peru) in the 12th century. They began their conquests in the early 15th century and within 100 years had gained control of an Andean population of about 12,000,000 people. The The Inca empire flourished in the 15th century and early 16th century. At the time of the Spanish conquest in 1532, the Inca ruled an empire that extended along the Pacific coast and Andean highlands from the northern border of modern Ecuador to the Maule River in central Chile. Inca ceramics are readily recognizable from their forms and decoration; bronze metal tools and weapons were widespread, and there was a distinctive Inca architecture at various locations throughout the empire. For the culture and artifacts dating to the empire during the period 1476-1534 CE, use "Late Horizon."
- Late Horizon - The seventh of the seven main chronological phases recognized in Andean archaeology, generally dating 1476-1534 CE, during which the Inca established an empire controlled from Cuzco, which eventually reached from central Chile to southern Colombia. The period ends in 1534, the year marking the fall of the Inca empire after the Spanish conquest.
- Peruvian - Of or belonging to the nation of Peru or its people.
- stripes - Long, narrow bands, typically of a different color.
- textiles - General term for carpets, fabrics, costume, or other works made of textile materials, which are natural or synthetic fibers created by weaving, felting, knotting, twining, or otherwise processing. For works of art or high craft that employ textile as a medium, prefer "textile art (visual works)."
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Inca Textile Fragment with Striped Design".View current selection of records as: