Chancay Double Weave Textile Fragment with Geometric Designs
|Showing 1 of 1||
Chancay Double Weave Textile Fragment with Geometric DesignsLate Intermediate Period
1000 - 1450
16 3/4 x 13 x 1/16 in. (42.5 x 33 x 0.2 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2000.3.181
Geography: South America, Peru, Andes (North Coast)
Classification: Unclassifiable Artifacts; Artifact Remnants; Cloth Fragments
Collection: Ward M. Canaday Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
Chancay, double weave*, geometric patterns, Late Intermediate Period*, lozenges*, Peruvian*, textiles*
- double weave - Heavy textile consisting of two separate textiles woven simultaneously, one above the other. The warp is composed of two series of ends, and each interlaces with its own weft, or with a common weft which works with each series in turn. In patterned double weave, the two textiles change position as required by the pattern.
- geometric patterns
- Late Intermediate Period - The sixth of the seven main chronological phases recognized in Andean archaeology, generally dating ca. 1000-1450 CE, following the collapse of Middle Horizon empires, including Tiahuanaco and Huari. During this time distinctive regional cultures emerged along the coast and in highland areas, including the Chimú empire. The political entities that developed during the late Intermediate Period were subsequently conquered by the Inca empire.
- lozenges - Figures that are squares or rhombuses rotated to have their corners on the horizontal and vertical axes. Common as an isolated motif, in a diaper pattern, or in a running series.
- Peruvian - Of or belonging to the nation of Peru or its people.
- textiles - General term for carpets, fabrics, costume, or other works made of textile materials, which are natural or synthetic fibers created by weaving, felting, knotting, twining, or otherwise processing. For works of art or high craft that employ textile as a medium, prefer "textile art (visual works)."
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Chancay Double Weave Textile Fragment with Geometric Designs".View current selection of records as: