Attic Red-Figure Lekythos (Oil Bottle)
|Showing 1 of 1||
Attic Red-Figure Lekythos (Oil Bottle)5th century BCE-3rd century BCE
7 3/8 x 2 9/16 x 1/4 in. (18.8 x 6.5 x 0.6 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- Attic - Style and culture of the region of Attica. For culture particular to the capital of Attica, Athens, use "Athenian."
- lekythoi - Ancient Greek one-handled, usually tall and slender narrow-necked vessels used for oil and unguents and as an offering for the dead. The form resembles the aryballos in that it has a narrow neck and a single handle, but the lekythos is generally a taller vessel with a small, deep mouth. The Greek word lekythos was undoubtedly used for the various forms called "lekythos" today, although it also appears that the term was used for oil vessels in general in Ancient times.
- Red-figure - Refers to a style of Greek vase painting that developed from the Black-figure style. It appeared in Athens around 530 BCE and spread to other areas of Greece, southern Italy, Etruria, and elsewhere in the Mediterranean area, until it disappeared in the third century BCE. The style is characterized by a particular technique, which involves the use of refined slip and a two-phase firing process to create a black ground through sintering, with figures reserved in red. The details of the figures are more fluid than in the Black-figure style, and are typically drawn with a brush, using both a defined, black relief line and a more dilute line that varies in color from dark gold to black.
- vase paintings - Refers to two-dimensional decoration applied to pottery by using paint made of metallic oxides or other pigments held in suspension in slip or another medium. The term is particularly used to refer to Ancient Greek red- and black-figure works. See also "porcelain paintings (visual works)."
- Ancient Life on Greek Pottery Bryn Mawr College , Mar 30, 2015 – Jun 1, 2015
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Attic Red-Figure Lekythos (Oil Bottle)".View current selection of records as: