Early Minoan Body Sherd of Vasiliki Ware
|Showing 1 of 1||
Early Minoan Body Sherd of Vasiliki WareEarly Minoan IIB
ca. 2600 BCE - ca. 2300 BCE
2 7/16 x 1 7/8 x 3/16 in. (6.2 x 4.8 x 0.5 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: P.444
Geography: Europe, Greece
Classification: Unclassifiable Artifacts; Artifact Remnants; Sherds
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- Early Bronze Age - Refers to the earliest phase of Bronze Age cultures, which developed differently in different regions, either from Chalcolithic or Neolithic technologies. It differs from the Middle and Late Bronze Age cultures primarily in metal assemblages and burial rites. It is characterized in part by the earliest experimentation with copper alloys to produce bronze, as well as the improvement of stone tools, and various other local cultural developments. Some scholars classify the Chalcolithic as the earliest phase of the Bronze Age.
- Early Minoan - Refers to the earliest phase of Minoan art and culture, according to the classification system devised by the archaeologist, Arthur Evans. It is characterized by the introduction of metal from Asia Minor, distinctive sculpture, and pottery, including hand-made clay pots decorated with incised geometric patterns and others that are apparently inspired by Egyptian pieces of the First to Fourth Dynasties. It overlaps with the Prepalatial period in the alternate classification scheme of Nikolas Platon.
- sherds - Limited to fragments of pottery or glass.
- Vasiliki ware - Early Minoan pottery named after a site in eastern Crete, and characterized by the invention of unusual shapes, including teapots with exaggerated, long spouts and jugs with tall, beaked spouts. Distinctive decoration was created by covering the entire pot with a coat of slip, which was mottled during firing to achieve a variegated effect in brilliant red and black.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
- maximum length Dimensions: 2 7/16 x 1 7/8 x 3/16 in. (6.2 x 4.763 x 0.476 cm)
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Early Minoan Body Sherd of Vasiliki Ware ".View current selection of records as: