- Refers to the culture and styles of ancient Greece, generally excluding modern and prehistoric periods, but including periods between around 900 BCE to around 31 BCE. For the culture of Greece in general, including modern Greece, see "Greek."
- Any of various large ancient Greek wide-mouthed vessels with two side handles, usually horizontal, generally used for mixing wine and water.
- Refers to the most advanced phase of Geometric style, dating to the mid- and late eighth century BCE and appearing across a wide geographical area. It varied significantly in different locations, but in general it is characterized in vase painting by a sophistication in the representation of figures and animals, including the portrayal of recognizable mythological figures and narrative scenes. Sculpture from this period depicts a wide variety of animals and human figures that are stylized, but more naturalistic than in earlier art.
- The application of paint to a surface primarily for protection or to apply a general color. For the application of pigments to a surface to create an expressive or communicative image, use "painting (image-making)."
- Limited to fragments of pottery or glass.
- Refers to two-dimensional decoration applied to pottery by using paint made of metallic oxides or other pigments held in suspension in slip or another medium. The term is particularly used to refer to Ancient Greek red- and black-figure works. See also "porcelain paintings (visual works)."
Click an image to view a larger version
This object was included in the following exhibitions:
Ancient Life on Greek Pottery
Bryn Mawr College
, 3/30/2015 - 6/1/2015
If you would like to cite this object in a Wikipedia article please use the following template:
<ref name=BMC>cite web |url=http://triarte.brynmawr.edu/objects-1/info/158024 |title=Late Geometric Closed Vessel Body Sherd with Painted Figural Decoration |author=Bryn Mawr College Library Special Collections |accessdate=10/25/2021 |publisher=Bryn Mawr College</ref>
Showing 1 of 1
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Late Geometric Closed Vessel Body Sherd with Painted Figural Decoration".