Copyist at the Metropolitan Museum
|Showing 1 of 1||
American (1871 - 1951) Primary
Copyist at the Metropolitan Museum1908
7 3/8 in. x 8 7/8 in. (18.73 cm x 22.54 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 1962.110
Geography: North and Central America, United States
Classification: Fine and Visual Arts; Prints; Etchings
Collection: Harrington-Bishop Collection
Description: Sloan uses light to draw attention to the faces of the copyist’s audience. There is a stark contrast between the darkness of these figures’ bodies, and their illuminated faces that are begging for a peek at the display in front of them.
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- American - Refers to the context of or associated specifically with the modern political entity of the United States of America.
- artists - People who produce work in the visual arts. For those in the performing arts, see "performing artists."
- etchings - Prints made from an etched printing plate, which is a metal plate on which a design is made by coating the plate with an acid-resistant substance, creating a design in the coating, and then exposing the plate to acid, which etches the plate where the metal is exposed. For designs incised directly into a copper plate using a burin or graver, use "engravings (prints)."
- women - Refers to female human beings from young adulthood through old age.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Exhibition ListThis object was included in the following exhibitions:
- Illuminating John Sloan Bryn Mawr College , Apr 30, 2015 – Jun 1, 2015
- A Picture of Mary Cassatt: Prints from the Bryn Mawr College Collection , Mar 17, 2000 – Mar 20, 2000
- Plate Dimensions: 7 3/8 x 8 7/8 in. (18.733 x 22.543 cm)
Owner Name: Richard E. Bishop
Disposal Method: Donated
Ownership End Date: 10/18/84
Owner Name: Bryn Mawr College
Acquisition Method: Donation
Ownership Start Date: 10/18/84
Catalogue Raisonné ListThe following Catalogue Raisonné exist for this object:
- Peter Morse, John Sloan's Prints (New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 1969), 166-177. Figure Number: 148
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Copyist at the Metropolitan Museum".View current selection of records as: